Go Green or Go Home
You already know that eating green veggies is important, and you may have heard about an alkaline diet, but you may not know that greens help to boost blood alkalinity, which in turn makes your body a better fat-burning machine.
The more alkaline your blood is, the less acidic it is. When there’s too much acidity in your diet (and therefore in your blood), here’s what happens:
- Your body holds onto fat, because fat provides protection against the acidity. Since acid burns, your cells find it “comforting” to have this barrier against a daily acid bath.
- Your blood will leech the minerals calcium and magnesium from your bones, because minerals are alkaline, and your body prioritizes the health of your blood over the health of your bones. Supplementing calcium, therefore, may simply replenish some what is being lost every day, but it can’t catch up to what your bones really need.
While greens help to burn fat, coffee can really put it on, even though it has no calories. Why is that?
- Coffee stimulates the production of adrenaline, a stress hormone. This causes your body to release sugar into the bloodstream to give you an energy source (to deal with the perceived threat that is causing you stress), and so your blood sugar goes up.
- Your body then makes insulin to deal with the blood sugar, converting it into energy or storing it as fat.
- If you changed nothing else and started drinking more black coffee, you are likely to store more fat because of this chain reaction.
- Coffee is also acidic and contributes to your body’s desire to hold onto fat for protection.
So where to go from here?
- Look for ways to increase your intake of greens. When you have the choice, go green. Try green salads, green smoothies, green veggies with hummus – just no green Jello-O, please! BONUS: Simply focusing on eating more greens can also help you to crave less sugar. If you find it easier to do MORE of something healthy rather than focus on doing LESS of something unhealthy, this can be a great strategy for you!
- Decrease your caffeine intake, especially from coffee. If you aren’t ready to give caffeine up entirely, switch to green tea, which has less caffeine and an overall milder effect on your body.
- Stabilize your blood sugar with the Health Revolution and ongoing Maintain programs, because the greens will taste better so you’ll crave more of them, and you’ll likely find it much easier to say “no” to the coffee.
How do you love to get your greens? Pass it on!